Wednesday, August 24, 2005

When I was still in primary school, I loved to look through my brother's collection of storybooks as most of them are adventure and horror, my favourites! It was around this time when I started to read lots of "choose your own adventure" books. I managed to find a few in his shelves (the rest have been given away) and one of them is "The Curse of the Haunted Mansion". The story goes this way... a brief introduction to the characters and settings. From there, you start to take a part in the story. You make decisions ranging from a simple answer of yes or no to deciding where the character should hide when there is danger. Let me show you a paragraph from the synopsis at the back of the book... "You are excited by the idea of investigating the curse on the house, but do you know it might be dangerous. What should you do? What happens next in the story? It all depends on the choices you make. How does the story end? Only you can find out! And the best part is that you can keep reading and rereading until you've had not once but many incredibly daring experiences! You're the star! Choose from 36 exciting endings!"

When I look at this type of book, I would consider them to be interactive especially if you consider the period when it was popular. It is definitely rare for readers to have a say in the ending of a book, let alone this book allows readers to make decisions for the protagonist right from the start of the story. Of course, anyone can argue to say that our choices for the protagonist are still ultimately limited by the options given to us by the author. I accept that... so I consider such books to be of moderate level of interactivity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home