Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Ans (2) : While we cannot deny that people do feel a sense of freedom when they are able to navigate through the system, I do not think that it's as much as the author seems to suggest in his writing.

In RPG (role playing games), the character gets to roam around the scene but the character is still very much limited in the sense that inaccessible places remain inaccessible to the character. Eg. Macross game's setting is in a destroyed city so the robots are allowed to roam freely around the roads and can choose to fly across buildings but characters are never allowed to enter the buildings. Neither are they allowed to leave the city. And what the Macross can do is limited, such as walking, flying, shooting and changing from robot to aeroplane state. You can't get the Macross to dance (if your're feeling bored and decided to do something silly for self entertainment) or lie down to avoid getting shot by the enemies(a more practical move I wish the game had but well, they don't). So there's really not as much freedom as the author claims.

I'll be looking at the Starhub and M1 website for examples of Web as the navigable structure. I don't feel free at all when I'm browsing through Starhub's website. In fact, I feel only fustration. The same applies to when I'm trying to find relevant information from their bills. The website is designed such that it's not easy to find what you want. Eg. I was trying to find out how many loyalty points I have after logging into my account but there was no direct and clear link which will bring me to what I need. The opposite is to be said when I logged into the M1 customer account website. Whatever I need is clearly listed out at the side of the page. But in both cases, I don't experience the extent of freedom illustrated by the author.

The experience of roaming around freely both in games and on the Web is nothing more than the freedom I experience when I'm free to choose which way I want to go when I'm on the street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home