I'm not too sure what the other 2 parts of the definition of narrative means so I'm basing my thoughts on the first part which says that a narrative has an initial stage, a change in that state, and insight brought about by that change. In this case, games such as tetris, solitaire, minesweeper and even pinball will be considered a narrative system because there's an initial stage at the start of the game, a change in that state as the game progresses and a resulting insight (outcome of the game).
However, it would seem odd to consider a simple game of pinball and solitaire narrative because the idea of narrative to me is that there must be a plot to be narrated. Zimmerman's definition of narrative seemed to be slightly linked to Tzvetan Todorov's narrative theory which states that there are 5 states in a narrative:
1. A state of equilibrium - an initial stage according to Zimmerman
2. A disruption of that order by an event (disequilibrium) - a change in that state
3. A recognition that the disorder has occured
4. An attempt to repair the damage of the disruption
5. A return or restoration of a NEW equilibrium - a resulting insight
I don't know exactly how to put it but I just feel that Zimmerman's definition was forcefully applied onto games.
I found the point about the Ms. Pac Man game being a narrative about life and death, about consumption and power pretty interesting. I've barely thought of jumping out and looking at the game at the larger context. Eg. RPGs are usually about speed, wit and strategy which is tightly tied to our business world where time is $$ and also the need to strategize. And when playing games, we tend to be aggressive and want to win which is also relevant to our real world where people who wants to win the game of life are aggressive in achieving their goals. It has become pretty hard for me to differentiate have we brought our life experiences into games or have we brought our game experiences into life.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home