Choose a game which you feel attempts to incorporate strong narrative elements. Discuss the tension between agency and narrative structure within the game. Do you agree that narrative and interactivity can never co-exist? Why/why not?
Not sure if this game incorporates strong narrative elements but this was the last game I was really into so I thought of using it. At least I know enough of it to make comments =) the game is titled Legend of the Condor Heroes, following the plot of a Chinese martial arts novel and I played the protagonist, Guo Jing. The play experience was erm… identical to Final Fantasy if I didn’t remember wrongly. Narration was in the form of cut scenes and interaction could happen outside the cut scenes only. I assume that co-exist means that both are taking place at the same time. Looking at this eg, I agree that narrative and interactivity can’t co-exist as there is a standard plot that I have to move along.
The game consists of mainly local agency where u can see ur character level up n collect gold after winning each opponent and global agency comes into play when at the final stage your only chance of winning is through all your previous efforts in leveling up the character. During my interaction with the game's environment, I’ve limited choices of action such as fighting some soldiers to level up n collect gold to buy better weapons, rest to recuperate and talk to the npcs. At the end of the day when I’m ready then I face the “king” of that level and move on once I kill it. This means that no matter how much interaction I have in the game, I still move down only 2 routes in the plot – protagonist succeeds and wins or dies. So it's very linear... like that of a storybook.
http://www.eddiezone.net/flashgame/Sell_House.htm just wondering if you could “force” it to say that we’re creating a narration of how the player buy/sell strategize and made profit/loss to finally afford the mansion?
How is time represented in the game? Is there a separation of story and discourse time? How does the game’s use of time allow for interactivity?There was barely any sense of time in the game because there wasn't any change in day/night setting. The face of the protagonist changed at certain stage from boy to young man seemed to be the only indication of time in the game.
Story time: denotes the time of the events told, in their chronological order
Discourse time: denoting the time of the telling of events (in order in which they are told)
Based on these 2 definitions, I don't think there's any separation between these 2. The time of the story is fixed in the ancient China. Please tell me if I've made mistake here.
Hmm... was thinking that if the game was designed intentionally to not give a clear idea of the time so that it seemed like players could play on forever since the character wouldnt need to sleep??

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home