Ans (5) : I agree with Jakob Nielson about the point where "the fact that Flash is not standard HTML creates a host of nasty usability issues." I used to be annoyed with not being able to use the back button when viewing a page with flash application. I come across Flash being used most commonly on the front page before we enter the main site and I look for the "skip intro" button almosg 99% of the time because they're usually too lengthy and of no interest to me as they don't provide any information that I'm seeking for from the website. While it's nice to have some moving images as the introduction but I think it's best kept short n sweet so that efforts are not wasted in coming up with a lengthy n nice one but most people just skip it. It seems like having a flash intro makes the website more "professional" and different from just a simple text based site and as a result, people want to include it in their website for that sense of satisfaction and feel good factor rather than to serve a practical use. Here, I agree that Jakob Nielson's view is still valid. And I would say that it distracts web designers' attention from the core value of the site rather than the users' which is undesirable as bulk of the production time is given to producing an excellent flash intro instead of useful content to users. However, I must also say that flash does have its useful applications. Eg. HDB's virtual showflats allow users to view the showflats from the comfort of home as it allows 360 degrees panning and it's your choice of which room you want to view and whether to turn or to zoom in etc. It's beneficial as user can decide whether or not to travel to see the real show flat based on whether they like what they saw in the virtual show flat. This would not have been possible without flash. Flash is used here to actually create the core content of the site.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home